TopBand: ZJ Beverage Box Comments and Update de K5PC

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: ZJ Beverage Box Comments and Update de K5PC
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 09:18:32 EST
On Wed, 5 Nov 1997 17:25:05 -0600 philk5pc@connect.net (Phil Clements)
writes:
>At 04:47 PM 11/5/97 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>I wrote ZJ, which a month later sent me a replacement device, gratis.
>
>      I sent my box back in, and it was repaired gratis...also took
>>month.
>
>>My ZJ Box did not come with a schematic which is my main complaint.
>
>      Mine also. It is much faster to be able to repair it myself.

A competent tech can copy that circuit in 10 minutes and generate a
schematic. There are only 20 components on the PC board and 12 of them
are the filter.

>>I agree that it is an odd choice, but my Avantek Semiconductor Data
>Book
>>shows that the power gain and other MMIC specs are flat from about
>>about 1 or 2 GHz, depending on the specific device. Also, the Avantek
>power
>>gain versus frequency chart shows them being flat to DC!   Therefore,
>the
>>device should be suitable for 1.8 Mhz.
>
>     These devices work fine at 1.8 mhz, as advertized. I experience
>none of
>     the overload problems eluded to in earlier posts. The B.C. band
>filter
>     is super! I have a 50kw B.C. station 4 miles away (WBAP, 820khz)
>and when
>     my RX is tuned to that freq., I can detect no signal at all! Also
>the
>     way the box mounts directly to the ground rod is nifty.

Yes
>Virginia,
>     some of us small-lot city dwellers do not have room for
>beverages, and
>     we need the preamp for use with EWE's and other compromise
>antennas.

Very true and the antenna signal levels are much lower than on a long
Beverage. After all it is sold as a Beverage Box...not a EWE box; at
least in the literature I have here.
At this QTH I am surrounded with 5KW BC stations in the 3 to 10 mile
range and most of them are above 1400KHz. The IMD generated in all of the
ZJ boxes repaired here make 160M useless for weak signal DXing.  Perhaps
if I were to build a BC filter properly matched to the ZJ input impedence
it would help.
The ZJ filter is after the 9:1 xfmr and before the MMIC. The 9:1 xfmr has
both input and output windings to a common ground and all other grounds (
filter, DC bypass, etc) are also common on the PC board. This is asking
for ground loop problems.  As mentioned here previously by many others
that is a poor way to operate a Beverage.

I have another ZJ box here for repair that I have not even opened the
shipping box yet.
I'll be glad to run some tests....any suggestions?

I have found an old Palomar 3N204 tuneable preamp to have an extremely
high Q on 160/80M  and a big help in even eliminating in-band IMD on my
conventional Beverages.  The bandwidth is about 10KHz and I set the gain
for minimum...about 5dB.

73   Carl   KM1H