TopBand: polarization

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: polarization
From: w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 07:18:29 +0000
> From:          Carl and Vicky <k9la@gte.net>

Hi Carl,

> And remember that the polarization arriving at the receiving end on 160m
> depends heavily on the direction of the wave relative to the earth's
> magnetic field, and has very little to do with what polarization was
> transmitted.

I'd like to remember that, but I don't understand why that would be
true. I do understand the part about the polarity not being dependent
on the transmitters polarity, but not why the polarity is claimed to
be fixed by the earth's magnetic field.

Could you explain why that would be true?

73, Tom W8JI