TopBand: slinky bev

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: slinky bev
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 11:26:54 EST
On Tue, 11 Nov 1997 07:58:17 -0500 ron spencer <n4xd@ix.netcom.com>
writes:
>Not too long ago some info was put out abot slinky beverages. As I
>recall the suggestio was for 8 stretched out to about 150 feet.
>Termination resistance was ? I went to Toys R Us and all they had were
>Slinky Jr (about 3 inches diameter). Anyone know ifthese are the same
>length as the Sr Model (boy does that sound strange...)?
>Thanks   Ron  N4XD

Ron, the ones I use are the #100 or 101 called the "Original". They are
2.875" OD and sound like the ones you found.
The Jr is the #125 or 126 and is 1.5" OD.
Here there are 5 stretched over 175', fed with a 9:1 xfmr and terminated
with 540 Ohms. At the terminated end I run 3  125' radials on the ground
in a 20 degree arc out front.
The layout is very scientific.......I have 300' of property in that
direction and I found a bunch of 180 Ohm 10W non-inductive resistors in a
surplus store !

Others have used more and less Slinkys and over longer distances. Recent
tests by Tom and others indicate the termination should be in the
1000-1200 Ohm range. I have not tried that yet.

At this QTH the Slinky SNR is usually better than 500-750' standard
Beverages but I have not compared to the 1000' plus versions.
If you use a decent  xfmr core material such as FT114-61,  performance is
good at least thru 20M. Be careful if you use a preamp, anything over
10dB appears excessive IMO.

Have Fun   Carl   KM1H