TopBand: Did the opening skip the Black Hole?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Did the opening skip the Black Hole?
From: CRICHTON_MELVIN_J@LILLY.COM (Melvin J Crichton)
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 10:22:22 -0500
Solid copy of GM4BES last night from Indiana... easy to work... Graham stayed
in there a long while after sunset... about 2300 Z onward.

Around 0030 I could hear random letters and occasional full words from the /FH
but not enough to jump in, as I would not have been able to pick out my own
call. But I expected not to hear much

But what amazed me was all the stations around (but not in) Indy who were
working European stuff that I could barely hear. Solid copy later on with
IV3PRK, and a DK.... but not as many stations copied as were on the packet
cluster.

Gonna check the new slinky bev this weekend to be sure a raccoon hasn't
modified it.... but it seems to work other days. I think we just got hosed
last night.

Mel KJ9C