TopBand: Listen and wait

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Listen and wait
From: lappint@southwind.net (Tom Lappin)
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 22:58:28 -0600
     In a pileup when a DX station sends something like W0U? why does a
station whose call sign doesn't contain a number 0 or the letter U continue
to send their call?  They even continue to send while the DX station is
transmitting.

     I suppose there are several possibilities:
        1.  They can't really hear the DX but are hoping for a QSO anyway.
        2.  They don't recognize any code except their own call and 599
        3.  The operator can't readily recognize their own call and they think
what was sent sounded close.
        4.  The DX station was covered by someone who didn't realize the DX was
working split and is calling on         the DX station frequency.
        5.  The station is sure that if they drop in their call just one more
time
        they'll be immediately  recognized and worked.
        6.  Or, as has been suggested they just don't care how poor their
operating procedures really are.
        7.  The FCC has dropped the HF CW requirement and I just haven't heard
about it yet.

     IMHO a lot more stations could have successful QSO's if op's would
show some courtesy to the DX operator and their fellow hams in the pileup.
Hey, there's always next time, a QSO only takes about 10 seconds.

     My hat is off to the 160M op's at VK9LX, 5A2A and the other great
DXpedition operators.  They are showing some great operating skills.  We
should all take a lesson.

        73, I'll CU N the pileup.

Tom  W0UY
lappint@southwind.net