No subject

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: No subject
From: michon@eatel.net (Mike Michon)
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 23:24:24 -0600
We are setting up an antenna up on a hill about 900 feet from an old
farmhouse.  A quarter wave balloon vertical for 160 meters.  Past years we
used open wire feed.

We want to try coaxial cable this year, but don't quite have 900 feet of
RG-8.  I have scrounged 600 feet, and  I have 300 feet of RG-22 which is 95
ohm and a pair of wires in the center and will handle 1000 volts.

We will be using about 1200 watts output to antenna.  Anybody have a clue
as to whether I can use the RG-22 with the pair inside connected, along
with the RG-8?

I know people use combinations of different impedance feedlines to match
antennas.  We were going to put up the antenna and about 50 radials and
then raise it over a quarter wave to try and get a 50 ohm match with no
capacitors and coils.  It we use this 95 ohm line, what happens, and is it
a good idea?

And I don't have enough money to go buy 300 more feet RG-8.  Nothing in my
life is simple.

Going to coax was to not have to use baluns, which are like black magic to
me as far as building one is concerned, and to e,iminate a Nye Tuner we
don't think will hold up.

Mike Michon
AB5XP
44033 Hwy. 42