TopBand: 5A2A, YES ! ! ! !

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 5A2A, YES ! ! ! !
From: JPalooka@aol.com (JPalooka@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 04:17:31 -0500 (EST)
I had worked 5A2A on 80 for a new band country & zone, but had not been
able to hear them on 160. I listened for some time after VE1ZZ spotted them
at 0253Z, not a peep. Checking 1829.6 often after my sunset, nothing was
heard.  I saw a spot from Craig, W1JCC, at 0222Z and still nothing. I saw
that
they went back up to 80 meters and went about doing chores, figuring I missed
them on Top Band.  At 0407Z, Heinz, NR0X, dropped a spot and their they were,
running S5/7 on my 125 foot Slinky Beverage. I moved down about 100 Hz from
the station he was working, made one call and BINGO!

I did not have time this fall to track down the farmer to get permission to
use
his field for afull size Beverages, but had room to slip up a 5 Slinky
Beverage.
Right now, it is terminated with 4 120 ohm 2 Watt carbon resistor to a ground
rod, running 6 feet off the ground, stretched out to 125 feet on back Dacron
rope,
supported once in the center. I am using an I.C.E. antenna matching unit
tapped
at 800 ohms. I am using a Palomar Preamp.

Without the full size Beverage to compare, I can only say, in one month, I
went
from 92 countries to 109 countries. Out of the 17 new countries, 14 of them
would
not have been heard without the Slinky Beverage.

If you do not have room for a full size Beverage, try the Slinky.  It
certainly is
better than nothing.  I will probably take this one or make another for use
in
Belize this month. I have used this one to advantage on 160, 80 and 40
meters.

Speaking of Belize, I was looking at the "Multee" antenna in the new ARRL
antenna handbook.  Anybody out there used this?  I am considering it for
my 160/80 meter antenna for this trip.

73,  K8Joe"Palooka" & Beverly,
K8JP, V31JP, VP5/K8JP, VP5JP, K8JP/VA2, ex-K8HKM, ex-KN8HKM
jpalooka@aol.com
K8JP@contesting.com
NIDXA/SMC/ARRL/HIDXA/QCWA
And read "The Contest Traveler" column in the NCJ
[\] NAUI Diver
New snail mail address:
Joe Pontek, K8JP
26441 Devaney Road