TopBand: Exceptional Conditions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Exceptional Conditions
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 08:08:33 -0500 (EST)
        WWV numbers (SFI= 98, A=  0, K= 0) are showing an EXTREMELY
quiet geomagnetic field making for fantastic conditions on 160.  Last
night there were many very strong signals from Scandinavia (including
TF3DX 579) and many Russians (RA2FBC, US5IRW, RA6AX, RW9YY, RA4FZ, UA1KT,
RA4FAU, RA3DOX, RA4PAB (SSB), RZ6LY (SSB), US4XD, etc.)  The most
interesting was RW9YY in Zone 18 (~53N 84E), not too far from Zone 23!
He was calling VE1ZZ with no response on 1832.7 so I called and worked him
at 0236 with 559 both ways.  I calculated his sunrise at 0232 but am not
sure of his exact city, so it could be sightly off.  His signal was
very solid and peaked a real 569 during our QSO on my FT-1000MP S-meter.
RW9YY's bearing from here is 9 degrees, so the geomagnetic field had to
be very stable to allow this path.  What a great day to enjoy getting
my 30 degree Beverage back up (in a cold wind blowing sleet naturally!)

        This morning continues with exceptional signals from JA and last
night Europeans told me that their conditions to JA were also fantastic.
Enjoy these exceptional conditions inthe Northern hemisphere while they
last!  160 doesn't get much better than this!

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  A45ZN also had a very nice signal last evening as well!