TopBand: J8 on 160 meters

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: J8 on 160 meters
From: dz@VOA.GOV (Richard Zwirko)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 16:40:21 -0500
I can happily report that they were active over the weekend in the SP
DX Challange and that I snagged them for 160M country #159 with 100 Watts.
Around 0920Z Sunday J8/DF2SS had just answered a CQ of N8ND. When he
finished with the exchange I broke in and N8ND, the gentleman that he is,
relinquished the frequency which allowed me to work the J8 for a new one.
A bit later I heard the J8 calling other stations (a W6 & a W0) but they
apparently didn't hear him. He wasn't very strong but was certainly trying
to work people. His receiving conditions certainly weren't that bad since
he was able to pull my low power signal out of the noise.

As reported by many others, conditions during the SP event were superb.
Worked 47 Europeans and 1 Asian (4X4NJ), VY1, (2) KL7s but not a single
Oceania station was worked from this Maryland QTH. Using manual scoring,
I figured that the 240 Q's totaled 1239 points X 2 (low power) = 2478 points.
Managed to snag 151 grids, for the record. It was a fun event.

We can all pat ourselves on the back for collectively molding the contest
rules into such nice event.  Anyone out there that had any complaints?
  73 & Happy New Year
  Rich - K1HTV
  dz@voa.gov