TopBand: Info on XW30 on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Info on XW30 on 160
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 07:30:17 -0500 (EST)
JA0DAI wrote:

Hi Bill,

A Happy New Year 1998!

I got a call from JA3ONB regarding to the QRV frequency for USA.
I am one of the XW30 operators, and I will be mostly on CW.
Yes, I do understand, we will try to be on 1824.5,listening up.
Maybe we have 2 chances of opening at your sunrise around 12Z
and at our sunrise around 23Z. Which do you think is better?

We will be leaving tomorrow (4th Sunday) for Bangkok,and arrive at
Vientiane on 5th afternoon (04Z). Then antenna work is waiting for us.

I will check my mail server, if the land line is available there.

I hope we are going to have a good location for 160 antennas.
Please cross your fingers.

73 Watt JA0DAI (also WR3W)

And I replied:

Hello Watt-San!

        Thank you for using a different frequency!  1823 would be
OK for the opening around your sunrise but is definitely no good
for us after your sunset.  Yes, you should see two openings to USA.
The East Coast is most likely after our sunset and before your
sunrise (approximately 2200-0000).  The best time will probably be
just before your sunrise around 2350.  You will probably have good
conditions to Europe at this time but please remember to try listening
for USA as sunrise approaches.  The signal sometimes comes via a skewed
path over Europe and sometimes long path via South America (approximately
210 degrees bearing from XW).

        The other opening begins at your sunset (approximately 1050)
until USA sunrise which will change from 1200 for W1 to 1600 for W7.
The most likely contacts will be with the West Coast but it is not
impossible for East Coast since VU4GDG in the Andamans was worked in
W4 just at VU4 sunset in 1985.  This path will most likely be direct
(to the Northeast from XW) but another possibility is long path over
New Zealand at a bearing of 150 degrees from XW.  I realize you may
not have directional antennas there, but if you do, please do not
forget to check these long path directions (210 degrees at your
sunrise and 150 degrees at your sunset).

        As ususal, you must be very persistent on 160 and try to be
QRV every day before your sunrise and beginning at your sunset.  The
conditions may only be very good for 1 or 2 days but you must be there
every day to catch them, hi!  Good luck from all of us on Topband and
we'll be looking for you every day.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  I am going to post my response on the Topband reflector since
it may be of interest to others.