TopBand: XW30

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: XW30
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 21:42:39 -0500 (EST)
Hi John,

        From Colorado, I often would hear SE Asians on 80 well before
sunrise (>1 hour) direct (NW), then they would gradually swing to long
path out of the Southwest peaking usually around 20 minutes before
sunrise, then after sunrise they would swing back direct!  They were
strongest and easiest to work to the Southwest.

        I worked most Central Asian and Middle Eastern countries on 80
only out of the Southwest.  The SE Asian stations were unique in switching
between direct and LP.  JA (315 degrees) was always direct on the other hand.
It was like there was a dividing line between always direct (<320 degrees),
always LP via SW (>350 degrees) and SE Asians (>320 and <350 degrees) would
come either way depending on conditions, time of day, etc!

        My guess is that the conditions on 160 are very similar to 80,
but signals are much weaker.  From Colorado, I worked only 4S7 and UA9
(Zone 18) out of the Southwest on 160.  From NC, I have never heard anything
on 160 via the morning LP even though I copied XU6WV regularly on 80 from
the Southwest before sunrise last Spring.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV