TopBand: Shunt-fed tower probs - saga continues.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Shunt-fed tower probs - saga continues.
From: ron@gw3ydx.demon.co.uk (Ron Stone)
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 19:32:39 +0000
I had a LOT of very helpful replies on this, and please forgive me if I
do not reply individually to all who gave me some excellent ideas.

A partial solution has been found, primarily due to the advice given to
me by G3SED and others about connecting a strap from top to bottom of
the rotator casing. I also connected a strap from the top of the tower
to the stub mast, in case the head bearing was not providing a good RF
path.

I also disconnected the feeder to my 40m yagi about 10ft below the tower
top (there is relay there) and it was not in circuit at the weekend.

Those changes had a significant effect on the tuning of the Omega
capacitors so must have had something to do with the prob. I used the
tower for several hours during the contest and noted no drift in the
SWR.

The issue now (thanks to N2IC/0 and others for raising it) is the balun
on the 40m beam. Is it doing it's job and choking RF? - unfortunately
topband RF in this case - and heating up causing the tuning drift ?.
We'll find out by reconnecting the feeder in the next week or so.

Then if it is a prob, I wont want to take the beam down if I can avoid
it, so perhaps the fertile brains of the reflector subscribers can
suggest a less painful solution than more January tower work (relays ?)

I'll keep reflector readers informed.

Bill W4ZV - apologies if this is a bit wide of the topband context for
the reflector but I've had at least 20 replies on this subject and it
seems pretty topband-centred to me !

73
Ron Stone
Vine Antenna Products - for World-Class RF Communications
Telephone +44(0)1691 831111
Mobile          0585 785659
Facsimile +44(0)1691 831386
Mail - The Vine