TopBand: CQ 160 Contest Winner Predictions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: CQ 160 Contest Winner Predictions
From: k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 15:12:23 EST
Hi, y'all,

An enjoyable (but rigorous for an old fart like me) contest, as usual.

Condx were mediocre here in So. California in about every direction.  The
first night was marred somewhat by T-storm static crashes hopping in from
other parts of the world.  Second night was quieter.

Was surprised to hear Herb, KV4FZ, who made a brief appearance.

A big signal from TI1C, who'll probably win for North America.  YS1X will
give him a run for the money.

For Oceania, I elect VK6VZ, who had a consistent signal here both nights.
 The pileups on Steve appeared to be from all of North America.  The only
KH6 who seemed to be competing was KH7R, but he wasn't hearing too well.

For Africa, it'll be Martti, EA8BH, with CT3FN 2nd.

For Europe, the possible winner is Ron, GW3YDX, who surprised me at his
sunrise the second morning.  CT1BOH seemed to be knocking the 10-pointers
off at a good clip, too.  Best signal was DF2PY, but I don't think he was
competing.

For South America, it looks like P49I.

It's a toss-up for Asia, with many big signals from JA competing.

Re comments about scoring, unless you're competing for top world score,
the scoring method seems about as equitable as can be.  US stations will
probably make more QSOs than other areas of the world, but most of their
QSOs will be 2-pointers -- with a lotta State multipliers.

EU stations will have a lotta QSOs, mostly 5-pointers, with a lot, but
not as many as multipliers as the US can get (via States).

Almost everything worked by any Oceania station has gotta be a
10-pointer.

A station located in middle USA might think the East or West coast has an
advantage.  But he probably not only can work both EU & JA, he has the
best shot at getting more State & Province multipliers, doesn't he?

It's hard for me to see how the scoring can be made more equitable for
all.

If anyone had a scoring advantage, it was probably P49I, PJ9/PA0VDV,
EA8BH, or CT3BH, all of whom are close to large populations of
ten-pointers.  Of these, I predict that Martti will have top world score.

Three new ones for me on 160m, BTW -- CE8ABF, CT3FN, and V73GT.

73, de Earl, K6SE

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]