TopBand: Shunt feed responses

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Shunt feed responses
From: G3XRJ@btinternet.com (John - G3XRJ -)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 15:38:59 -0000
> Now, for my own chincy tower---
> Am I wasting my time trying to shunt feed 4 sections of Rohn 25 with a TH3
> at 42'? Would I be better off in the small lot with an inverted L or stick
> with my 80 meter horiz. loop with the ladder line shunted for 160 use (which
> doesnt hear DX very well) and put lots of raials underneath it?
      > Henry Heidtmann, N4VHK

Dont give up on it Henry.
I use a 3 section 37.5 ft 14inch triangular mast guyed at the top of second
section
with 3 guys insulated at 20ft from top end. Top loading is 3 el tribander on 14
ft boom
on stub raised 1 ft above lattice top and stub extends 3 ft above boom so total
height
is 41.5 ft.

Shunt feed is from top of lattice mast, 5 ft out and down to 1.5 ft above
ground and
into mast tuner box. Omega match is :- Series C = 100pf and Shunt C = 190pf.
Shunt C is coax and requires 2 inch pullback of braid at open end to prevent
flashover.
The bandwidth is only 15khz between 2:1 points and only 5pf change of series C
shifts 1:1 point about 15khz !.

Given its low theoretical efficiency , it works great.
ZL short and longpath, JA, KH6 and KL7.
ZL Long path is easy from G but the others are all a challenge.

73's
John G3XRJ