TopBand: Re: Follow-up on Topband Receiver Survey

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: Follow-up on Topband Receiver Survey
From: JEH@on.mobile.telia.se (Jan-Erik Holm)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 07:54:31 GMT+1
>(snip)
>One question I'd like to see answered on rigs is why all the modern
commercial >transmitters seem to be so bad on key clicks?  Look at the
keying waveforms >in QST and the spectral displays in Radcom, and you can
see that they seem >to have been designed for 60 or 70 wpm - with the
concomitant clicks. Very >antisocial - like the worsening phase noise
specs. A Johnson Ranger II was far better than some of the modern
rigs..................

>73
>Peter G3RZP
>================
>Good point, Peter,
>
>I've noticed a growing number of key klix on 160m, but never jumped to
>conclusions, feeling that my receiver might be the reason because there's
>also a growing number of strong signals on the band.
>
>When viewing some of those fast rise/fall time CW keying waveforms in the
>QST reviews I often wonder if the rig would produce klix.  A notable
>example is the keying waveform of the FT-1000MP (figure 2, page 71, April
>1996 QST).  The first dit looks click-producible, the second dit, maybe
>not.
>
>Perhaps other Topbanders might want to comment.
>
>73, de Earl, K6SE

I have not seen the QST reviews but there are for sure more key clicks
on the band these days and it is not a RX problem.
The FT1000MP is a total disaster but there are many other bad click
machines around, most seem to click on the break side.
On 160 being a narrow band it causes big big problems and also it is
difficult to get people to understand that they do have a radio that
is not correct.

73 de Jim SM2EKM