TopBand: 9M0C, day 6 and counting down, in NM

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 9M0C, day 6 and counting down, in NM
From: miltj@aepnet.com (Milt Jensen, N5IA)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 06:54:04 -0700
Good morning again topbanders,
        At this time (1400) it would appear that today is a total bust.  I
heard one whisper of a signal on 1.824.5 at 1254 and that is all.  No
identification of who or what it was.  No one calling except a couple of
CQers between .29 and .34 and KT5X calling for 9M0C on 1.826.9 at 1350.
        It seems that we are on a very slow secondary QSB cycle.  When 9M0C
started operation last week there was no copy here at my location in South
West New Mexico.  I started hearing them on Saturday morning; better on
Sunday; peaked on Monday with 569-599 signal for an hour and decent copy
for over two hours until a hour after sunrise.
        Tuesday he was not detectable, yesterday a few whispers, CQs, and
QRZeds.  Now today, nothing at all again.  Comparing this saga to the XZ1N
operation in Nov. '96 (which I didn't contact either) I note the following.
 I had decent copy on XZ1N every morning of his operation, but he never
peaked like 9M0C did on Monday.  In contrast, this one wasn't audible the
first couple of days; then increased over a couple of days to great levels;
and now has faded away over a 2 day period.
        Has anyone noted this particular phenomena?  Does it occur only at
certain periods of the year?  Does it occur on particular paths?  I'm
trying to learn a bit more about the vagaries of propogation on topband.
Thanks in advance for any replies.  73 de Milt, N5IA