TopBand: Low band signals in the NYC tunnels.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Low band signals in the NYC tunnels.
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU)
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 09:04:51 EST
In a message dated 98-03-08 19:05:39 EST, W8JI writes:

<<  The 160 meter skin depth (distance where current drops to 37% of the
 value traveling in the conductor) is about 30 meters in poor soil,
 ten meters in good soil, and about a foot in salt water. Current
 effectively goes to zero at about 10 skin depths. >>

BIG Question that has been puzzling me:
     When I travel to New York City by car and take either Lincoln or Holland
tunnel under Hudson river and listen to AM radio, usually 770 WABC, on most of
the days I can hear radio solid S9 throught the tunnel. On few days there is
no signal. This would happend to other AM stations too, so it is not the case
of  particular station running QRP. Time of the day does not seem to matter.
The only link I have been able to observe, that when this happens, changes in
weather follow. HF and FM are dead in the tunnel.
                                 WHY?
     Changes to chemistry of water above? Or are we refracting, ducting -
conducting?

Yuri Blanarovich, VE3BMV, K3BU/m