TopBand: FT1000 key clicks - Fixed ??

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: FT1000 key clicks - Fixed ??
From: WD8ARZ" <wd8arz@null.net (WD8ARZ)
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 09:16:30 -0500
Hello Art, thanks for taking the time to post your information about the
FT1000 from several years back. Fortunatly the FT1000D made inroads to
improving a lot of that, and the more recent (1 - 1 1/2 years) of late model
FT-1000MP doesnt exibit those concerns to all. Three versions of the radio -
FT1000, D, and MP sometimes confuses the issues too........ hi hi ...... not
to mention the production run changes. Seems most all of the high end radios
receive a lot of visibility and go through a lot of changes. Thats one
reason why I avoid being one of those that has the newest release of any rig
anymore.

There have been interesting debates the last year or so in the two Yaesu and
the FT1000MP reflectors about some concerns with the FT1000MP. Some who had
problems with the FT1000MP actually had different component values in some
circuits that make us suspect misbuilds, so didnt fit the other rigs normal
performance. Still others exibited the cw click/spur problem but others did
not.....especially the later model rigs. By later I mean those that shipped
from Yaesu in the last year or so and had the inhouse mods made before the
dealer got em.

Other problems were traced to RFI, especially when using more than one rear
panel antenna jack and a linear. FT1000D rigs come fully equipped with
filters, but the FT1000MP does not. Different users had filters from
different manufactures and performance varied again. Then there are the DC
and AC models of the FT1000MP. This makes a difference in todays digital
world because some external ac switching supplies have poor phase noise
performance and are influenced by RFI. The power supply noise and rfi
affects both transmit and receive.......especially those that also used an
antenna on the external RX connection and a amp. Then there was RFI from
different mike/cable situations.

Here is an interesting reply from one of the earlier messages:
snip snip....
"They use a PIN diode with only a few volts of bias to hold off the external
antenna connection. If the RF voltage on the external antenna exceeds the
voltage of the diode, it turns back on and runs the RX antenna back into the
low level TX RFchain (since the tuned filters are used for both TX and RX.

I discovered this while testing a 600 watt PA on an outside antenna,
fortunately I had a spectrum analyzer fired up and saw the extra pip two MHz
outside the 14 MHz band.

When I checked 160, my rig did the same thing but IN band. I had to do
extensive mods to cure the 751A. "
snip snip.......73 Tom

The latest info that has caught my attention is: