TopBand: ALASKA - ECHOES

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: ALASKA - ECHOES
From: nl7z@Alaska.NET (Kevin Forster NL7Z)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 06:47:14 -0900 (AKST)
Very severe echoes/multipath this am on 160 - first heard VE1ZZ cq'ing at
about 1015z , it took a minute or so before I could get his call. His signal
was 579 at times but the echo was so bad that it was hard to copy. I worked
a couple of other stations shortly after and had the same problem. The worst
case was W8JI - he was very loud but also was the hardest to copy. K1ZM
commented on the echo as well with my signal - even a station as close as WA
had echo on his sig.

It has been a couple of years since I have heard echoes like this on 160 -
and this type of echo seems to be different than the "long delayed echoes" I
have heard. It has also been a while sisnce I have heard VE1's and K1's this
loud. At roughly the same time I worked the 5W0 and he had absolutely no
trace of multipath/echo on his sig.

BTW - I was on my "low" inverted vee (96') which is my antenna of choice to
the east coast - even over the vertical with 100 radials on the ground -
which btw is the EU choice here.
                                                        73 es cu all in the
'test! Kevin  NL7Z