TopBand: NL7Z ECHO

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: NL7Z ECHO
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 11:09:07 -0500
        Here is my take on the echoes, skewed directions, etc.  Whenever
I hear something like extreme (>90 degrees) skewing, I usually suspect
some sort of high angle path.  When I had my dipole in Colorado, I would
immediately switch to it when hearing things like this on my Beverages.
Often the signal would pop up and I would discover that the path was
reciprocal since the dipole would also be the best transmit antenna.  I
would be curious to know if any hearing NL7Z tried switching to a high
angle antenna.

        This is a case where a complete system of Beverages and also a high
angle antenna would have helped us know what was really going on.  Remember
that angle of arrival is just as important as azimuth angle on 160.  Sometimes
the two can be confused if we listen only with low angle antennas like
Beverages, vertical arrays, etc.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  Still don't have a good high angle antenna up here yet but it's next
on my list!