TopBand: Re: NL7Z and my oversight

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: NL7Z and my oversight
From: bobnm7m@baker.cnw.com (Robert Brown)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 13:46:56 -0800 (PST)
Friends in Top Band Land,

In my original posting on 3/20in response to that of Jeff, K1ZM, I made
mention of signal ducting in the electron density valley above the
night-time E-region.  And in discussing how signals got out of the duct, I
noted that ionospheric tilts would play a role.

Tilts are well-known but not in the literature readily available to most
amateurs.  There is one exception, the book

        The Ionosphere: Communications, Surveillance and Direction Finding
        by Leo F. McNamara, Krieger Publishing, 1991.

That book was the basis for a later, smaller volume by McNamara

                Radio Amaterus Guide to the Ionosphere

The discussion of ionospheric tilts is in the first book, in connection
with direction finding.

Not only did I fail to mention that reference but also one more recent and
relevant:

        How the Ionosphere REALLY Works by Eric P. Nichols, KL7AJ.
        QEX, March/April. p. 37-40, 1998.

In that article, Nichols not only gives "a catalog of aberrant behaviours"
of the ionosphere but goes on to mention the matter of ionospheric tilts,
the order of 35-40 degrees over certain regions.  Additional details are
not given but his e-mail address is there:

                        enichols@gci.com

so I presume he would be responsive to any inquiries.  I might add that
his affiliation was with the HIPAS Observatory in Alaska.

Again, my apologies for the oversight.  Maybe this will help you understand
my remarks better.

73,

Bob, NM7M