TopBand: Elev. Radial Qx.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Elev. Radial Qx.
From: jbmitch@vt.edu (John Mitchell)
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 02:05:13 -0500
I am still very interested to hear from anyone about this diagram I posted
several days ago.  No one seems to have an opinion.

The question is:  what further improvement is realized by using more than
two 1/4 wave radials when the "ground" 66 ft below is the ocean?  According
to one theory, two resonant radials completely cancel each other's
horizontal radiation, and provide all that is needed of a current return
path for maximum radiation from the vertical radiator.  Salt water provides
a "perfect" near field under the radials, as well as a "perfect" fresnel zone.

      ____|____  _ 1/4L Vert. w /two res. radials at 66 feet

So, what about it, gentlemen?  Would 120 radials over salt water play any
better?
If so, why?  If not, then why use more, assuming perfect ground?  Also,
would the elevated counterpoise over "perfect" ground be better than the
same 1/4L antenna only 1 ft above the surface?  That is, what does elevating
the feedpoint get you?

Thanx,
73,
John K4IQ