TopBand: Question YB0ARA/9 SUNRISE EFFECTS Question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Question YB0ARA/9 SUNRISE EFFECTS Question
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 08:31:01 +0000
To: <topband@contesting.com>
> Date:          Fri, 27 Mar 1998 17:59:47 -0500

> >To my mind, most computer propagation programs are USELESS for predicting
> >optimum times for LOW  BAND propagation, especially the Sunrise and
> >Sunset
> >enhancements.

> Agreed on both counts!!  I run GeoClock all the time in the shack.

I would like to ask a question.

What do people mean by a "duct"?

When I read some of the comments, it appears a duct is credited
for signals "focusing" in one area and no (or very very little)
signal appearing elsewhere, even a few hundred miles away.

So am I correct in assuming a duct should create a no signal zone,
where stations only at the opening of the "duct" hear the signals???

Is that correct, or do I misunderstand how a "duct" is supposed
to appear to us?

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com