TopBand: H40AA on the two Low Bands

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: H40AA on the two Low Bands
From: john.devoldere@innet.be (John Devoldere (ON4UN))
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 19:32:43 +0100
Hello Fellow Low-banders

Very recently I read some e-mail from Joerg YB1AQS, from the framous ZL7DK
team, in which he said: "As we've found all the years - the 160m antenna
has if possible to be the first one up and the last one down."

He continued: " During our stay we got at least one good opening into all
possible directions, but in average not more than two per destination. The
openings into the critical directions (mostly the polar paths) have to have
absolute priority. The path are open maybe 5 or 10 minutes a day, if they
are open. If you are dedicated to work stations on these difficult band and
difficult paths, you must be there every day (to call CQ) in order not to
miss any opening."

I wished the gang on H40AA had read this before leaving...

Today conditions were excellent to Japan on 80 meters at our sunset, and I
am sure we could have made it.... no QRN, good signals from JA... but it
seemed like Aki was chained on a 40 meter rig...

Oh yes, I read somewhere, that Martti had said they would put the antennas
up only on Sunday (after Sunday mass???). Amen.

I get a bit irritated that such eminent ops do it that way ... Of course
they make more QSO's, and QSO's = you know what...

Sorry for being a little bittre, I guess I will be over it by tomorrow.
Today I put up a 300 m Beverage right on Temotu, I hope the my friendly
neighbor farmer does not make me take it down tonmorrow.

Good luck to use all.

John, ON4UN

*            John Devoldere, ON4UN, AA4OI, OT8T               *
*             e-mail: john.devoldere@innet.be                 *
*                address: Poelstraat 215                      *
*                         B9820 Merelbeke                     *
*                         Belgium                             *
*                 mailing addres: P.O.Box 41                  *
*                                 B9000 Gent,                 *
*                                 Belgium                     *

*  PLEASE CALL US IN THE CONTESTS (ON4UN OR OT8T). THANK YOU! *