TopBand: DGPS on 1.851

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: DGPS on 1.851
From: gregsmi@dbnpop01.iafrica.com (gregsmi@dbnpop01.iafrica.com)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 07:45:27 +0000
This is aimed mainly at Scandinavian reflectees.

I know I have made postings on this subject before, but this thing
on 1.851 is really intriguing me.  It was really loud at 0300 this
morning, yet there was no sign of any amateur signals from Eu at that
time. Were any of you Scandinavians on then?

I guess that it was around 15 dB above my noise level.  Since it is
reputed to be off the Scandinavian coast, it must either be running
many tens of kW, or must have a very different antenna, or both
(assuming that amateur stations were QRV and I couldn't hear them).

Is it possible for someone closer than I am to contact their local
hydrographic office and find out some details - Tx power, antenna
polarisation and height?  I do think that this information would be
useful in furthering our understanding of Topband propagation.

73, Greg, ZS5K