TopBand: Re: Beverage doubts.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: Beverage doubts.
From: k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:24:04 EDT
Dave, W0FLS wrote:

"My two 580' beverages don't usually hear any better than my 4 sq on 80.
However, they significantly out perform my quarter wave elevated vertical
on 160."

Larry, W0ETC wrote:

"Similar experience here in Iowa.  I put up a 295 foot Beverage and found
that  95% of the time the 80 meter 4 square is just as good as or better
than the  Beverage (in it's favored direction) at digging out the week
ones.  On rare  occasion S/N on beverage allowed better copy.  Maybe this
proves how gud the 4 square is, or how lousy my Beverage construction
techniques are, or that 295 ft is just too short for a Beverage to be
effective."
I agree that a well-constructed 4-square without other verticals
influencing its pattern will outperform even a 2-wavelength Beverage on
receive.  This has always been my viewpoint because of my own experience
comparing both 1- and 2-wavelength Beverages with a 2-el vertical array
on 160m.

73, de Earl, K6SE

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]