TopBand: 3B7RF on now

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 3B7RF on now
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 20:38:16 EDT
On Fri, 15 May 1998 16:49:02 -0400 (EDT) Bill Tippett <btippett@CTC.Net>
writes:
>KM1H wrote:
>
>>On 1826.5,  worked at 0118 on 1831.2  He seems to be really trying,
>lots
>>of QRZ and partial calls. Another hour to his sunrise.
>
>Hallelulah!  After hearing him 559 when Carl worked him, he went down
>and would QSB from about 229 to 449 on peaks.  I kept calling, hoping
>could catch him on a peak.  Finally his signal came up to 559 around
>0158 and I was able to get him.

Bill, he called you many times over at least 45 minutes, sometimes with
your correct call and sometimes with a variant. The primary problem that
you had was a W1 that never stopped calling on top of you...for the whole
time...even during your final success.
Congrats..I did hear your 100% OK QSO and finally had to go to weekly
nets on 6M AM and 432MHz SSB at 0200. I never heard any signal peak and
they were a slow QSB 449-559 for 45 minutes.
I turned the radio on at 0115 and they were logged at 0118...congrats to
your perseverance!

It was a bit strange to hear so few calling...was everyone on the way to
Dayton?

Several readers asked me what I use here. Quickly it is:

Amp:  LK500ZC at 1200W
Xcvr: Modified TS-940
TX Ant:  Two full size wire verticals sloping away from and hanging off
the top guys of a 180' tower. The ground is 6 elevated radials per
antenna. Phased and switchable  NE, SW and broadside.
RX Ant :  A Slinky Beverage 175' long.

Comments:  I have rebuilt and added to the RX system here. The 3B7 was
not copyable enough for a QSO on a 1100' wire Beverage; however they were
Q5 over 75% of the 45 minutes on a Slinky Beverage. The QRN on the 1100'
Beverage was just  too intense to be useful.  The noise on the Slinky
even on static peaks was S2 or so.

NO!!  I dont want to get into another discussion on elevated radials or
Slinky Beverages.  Use what works for you and I will do likewise.

73  Carl  KM1H

  He continued to be very readable here
>until about 0218 when either his sunrise got him or he decided to QRT.
>
>Man this one was rough!  This was the first time I've heard him after
>about one solid week of listening.  Hope he will be back tomorrow.
>BTW, he seemed to be hearing reasonably well after 0200, so either his
>QRN died down at his sunrise or he has a better RX antenna.
>
>                                        GL & 73,
>
>                                        Bill  W4ZV
>
>P.S.  Since posting this reply to Carl (I intended it for the
>reflector
>but forgot to change the header in my excitement), I got a response
>back
>from pilot HB9BGN.  I asked him if they were using a different
>antenna,
>since I was at a loss to explain why their signal was so readable
>yesterday
>and they had not been heard previously.
>
>"Bill,
>It must have propagation - they did not mention any new antennas taken
>into service. (They do not have much material for building antennas
>and
>no hardware shop around hi!) But thanks for the precise report. If
>everybody would sent such complete info, my job would be much
>easier...
>73, Al hb9bgn"
>
>As I reported to HB9BGN, here is what I observed:
>
>0030-0100  Signal barely detectable on 1826.44
>0100-0155  Slow QSB from 229 to 449.  Heard KM1H's Q at 0118 very
>clearly.
>0155-0220  Signal came back to 559, peaking 569 around 0208 (N4SU's
>QSO).
>0220       Nil.  Possibly QRT, QSY or the 0217 sunrise absorption got
>him.
>
>I also noticed that 3B7RF was worked by some 6's on 80 meters around
>his
>sunrise, so conditions must have been exceptional last night.  Let's
>hope
>they hold for the remainder of their stay!  Good luck to all!
>

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/topband.html
>Submissions:              topband@contesting.com
>Administrative requests:  topband-REQUEST@contesting.com
>Problems:                 owner-topband@contesting.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]