TopBand: AEA Complex Impedance Analyzer

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: AEA Complex Impedance Analyzer
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 11:47:52 +0000
To: <topband@contesting.com>
> Date:          Thu, 18 Jun 1998 07:06:58 -0400
> From:          Bill Tippett <btippett@CTC.Net>
> Subject:       Re: TopBand: AEA Complex Impedance Analyzer
> To:            topband@contesting.com

> I wrote:
>
> >        Has anyone had any experience with the above AEA unit described
> >at http://www.aea-wireless.com/cia.htm and advertised on page 156 of the
> >latest QST (July 98)?
>
>         Apparently AEA has not shipped any yet, except for demonstration
> units at Visalia and Dayton.  I called them yesterday at 1-800-258-7805
> and they said delivery is currently September with prior orders being
> shipped in July and August.  Guess I'll just get by with my Autek RF-1
> for awhile longer.

MFJ is now shipping the MFJ-259B. The MFJ-259B has two versions,
an early model with somewhat limited software features and a newer
unit with advanced software. The current producton MFJ-259B measures:

1.) Real part/ imaginary part of the impedance (phasor impedance)
2.)" Z " or absolute value of the phasor impedance
3.) Impedance phase (degrees)
4.) Cable length in feet
5.) Cable loss in dB
6.) Return loss
7.) SWR
8.) Inductance
9.) Capacitance
10.) Distance to fault

All for about $250 (I think).

A frequency synthesized unit that plots all these parameters over a
wide range automatically is in the works, but probably won't be out
until fall.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com