TopBand: Re:TS850S and receive-only antennas...

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re:TS850S and receive-only antennas...
From: aj6t@slip.net (Walter E. Miller)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 06:41:27 +0100
Mark, NB1U, wrote:

> Has anyone out there developed a work-around for the TS850S's lack of an
> external receive-only antenna jack? Any info. much appreciated.

After deciding I did not want to dig too deeply into my TS850S to add an
external RX antenna port, I wound up with a small external relay in a
shielded box between my transceiver and amplifier.  This relay switches
the rig's output between the amp and a manual Beverage selector switch.
The relay box has its own switch and LED to indicate when the Beverage
selector is in-line, and the relay is controlled by the same footswitch
that puts the amp into transmit mode. I don't use an RX preamp, and I
built the Beverages with beefy enough transformers that won't pop if I
accidently do transmit into them with the exicter (at least the amp KW+
can't get into the Bevs).  Fairly crude, but effective for me.  There
were a number of circuits on the topband reflector a couple of years ago
that addressed this shortcoming of the '850....perhaps you could do some
rooting around in the archives and find those mods.  Good luck.

73, Walt, AJ6T