TopBand: stranded or solid ?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: stranded or solid ?
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson Courtesy Account)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 14:22:21 -0700

To: <topband@contesting.com>
>Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 09:48:04 -1000
>From: Christian Veillet <veillet@cfht.hawaii.edu>
>
>A naive question from a novice on the topband...
>
>I'm planning to install a beverage for 160m. Should I use solid
>or stranded wire?  I didn't find any clear statement on that...
>
>Thanks in advance for your advice
>
>Chris KH6/F5IDM
>
>--
> Dr. Christian Veillet,            CFHT Resident Astronomer
> Phone: 808-885-3161   http://www.cfht.hawaii.edu/~veillet/

Chris,

It really doesn't matter.  Either will do fine.  I have used
galvanized electric fence wire (single strand solid) because it
was cheap and expedient.  It worked fine.  I have also used
surplus WD1 military field telephone wire which is not only
stranded but also two conductor twisted insulated pair - also
because it was cheap and expedient (as well as nearly
indestructable by critters).  It also worked fine.  In fact, I
have yet to find a conductive wire that doesn't work well as a
beverage antenna if properly installed and long enough.

73, Eric  N7CL