TopBand: Balloon Full Wave Antenna for 160M

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Balloon Full Wave Antenna for 160M
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein)
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 22:00:02 -0700
>>> de K3BU:  Majority of propagation on 160 is at around 30 - 45 deg
>>> angles.

<< de K0HA: If this is true, why do the stations located on the edge of
<< an ocean (some of which you have operated from) have such an
<< advantage?  The majority of the ocean enhancement is at the lower
<< angles of radiation (under 30 degrees).

> de K3BU :  Close to the ocean "the whole thing" gets a boost by about
> 10 dB (even "coathanger" antenna). Yes, the better "ground" - salt
> water fills in and enhances antenna pattern especially at low angles,
> which has lot to do with the far field enhancement...

I can only speak of my sheltered ham life of only significantly
having operated from somewhat isolated Nebraska...
The "big stations" with near-ocean locations in North America put in
good signals here.  However, they don't stand out much compared to other
"big stations" 100+ miles away from the ocean.  The near-ocean stations
obviously don't have anywhere near the advantage that they do to
oversea's DX locations.  Speaking only of what I can observe--the ocean
QTH's don't APPEAR to help North American signals to Nebraska.
I say this realizing that some/many of these big stations may be
doing what I do:  MOST of the evening during a 160 contest I'm
beaming northeast with my transmit antenna.  And, I'm probably more
likely to be using a northeast Beverage for receive.  West coast
stations calling me may wonder why I'm working mostly stations to the
east--that's why.  When things settle down I'll be switching to west
Beverages and work mostly west...  However, most of the time at night
the transmit antenna is left beaming northeast!  West coast stations
may wonder why I work more Europeans than another zero when the other
station is stronger for them...  I hope that's the case!
Part of my NA ocean reports may be due to similar use of their
antennas at times.  But, I'm trying to put more weight on times when
they're more likely to be beaming my way...
Also, I would expect coastal NA stations to often have a higher angle
path to a DX station who is probably close to 1000 miles nearer to them.

73,  Bill     K0HA