TopBand: Radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Radials
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 10:13:12 -0400
Hi Roger,

What debate was that?

> I really don't want to reopen the elevated -v- buried radials debate,
> but I am unsure as to how to proceed. I am just putting up a somewhat
> better vertical for 160. It is right next to a laneway, across which I
> can bury wires, but cannot use elevated wires unless they are more than
> 5m high. It is surrounded by horrible bush. So, it is easy to install
> elevated radials over about 200 degrees, and very hard to bury them.

If you have enough radials it doesn't make a bit of difference if they are
buried or elevated, resonant or non-resonant. The only ill effect can be a
reduction in effective antenna height by the radial height, if the radials
"block" the lower part of the vertical. We all know that doesn't make much
difference, unless the height reduction is drastic.

I'll send you up some Kudzu vines to camouflage your radials. It won't
spread out of control, honest.

73 Tom