TopBand: Black Hole Report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Black Hole Report
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein)
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 20:56:29 -0700
I was surprised to see no comments on yesterday evening's (local)
opening to eastern Europe.  I saw many reports from east coast
stations on the opening.  EU signals were better here, but the static
was up even more.  I struggled through a couple of contacts with
Europeans as things peaked near their sunrise (and called ZS6UT--
couldn't copy a reply through the noise).
The day before (25 Sept--UTC), just as I began to have reasonable
copy on EU (F5IN), the band closed from here to EU.  Later that day
(0900z?) the K index was at 9!  That made me not expect a 160M
opening yesterday night here...
I listened during Saturday's sunset here--I had a very low static
level and heard no DX.  Too low of a static level!  That sometimes
happens when the band is dead.  I hope that's not the case today.

73,  Bill     K0HA