TopBand: Titanex V-160 antenna - impression summary

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Titanex V-160 antenna - impression summary
From: morel@shani.net (morel)
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 12:46:36 +0200
Ten days ago I asked for impressions about Titanex V-160 antenna.
I received 26 answers from W, DL, G, F, I and PA lands. Also, 11
guys asked me to share the answers with them.

So, please find here enclosed a short summary:

Strong points:

* 16 hams were satisfied with the reports received on transmited signals
  (11 hams reported about using wires antenna for receiving- usually
   Beverages).
* 17 hams were very satisfied by antenna bandwith/SWR for 160/80/40m.
  Note : 13 hams are using the original base tuning unit.
* 3 DX-peditions who used V-160 or V-160E, reported good results.
* 4 hams were satisfied about the high power levels supported by V-160.

Rough edges:

* 19 hams reported about poor mechanical design, materials and
  workmanship used for the sections coupling, base and other H/W items.
* 6 hams were not satisfied with the way the Aramid guywires were
  coupled to sections .
* 6 hams weren't sure if all the antenna sections were made of
  Titan/Alu; no clear answers were obtained from Titanex customer dept.
* 12 hams were not pleased at all by customer service.
* 10 hams complaints about very poor mechanical design and quality of
  the base antenna tuning system box.
* 4 hams would prefer larger diameter Aramid guywires .
* 5 hams appreciate that ( after seeing the V-160 )they are able to
  built a better and stronger vertical with same radiation and bandwith
  performance at sensible lower price.
* 4 hams expected a typical BMW/Mercedes design,quality materials &
  workmanship but they were disappointed to get almost only their price.

Comparison with other antennas:

Only 9 hams compared the V-160 to others antennas:

* V-160 was found better on transmission when compared to various LW,
  dipoles, inverted Vee's, inverted L a loaded tower, a HF-9B and a
HF-2V
  with 160m trap.
* About comparison with Vee beams, the 2 reports received were
  contradictory.
* No clear conclusions on V-160 at receiveing.

I hope this summary will help a potential buyer to take a decision.

73 de Morel, 4X1AD