TopBand: Inverted-L

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Inverted-L
From: aa8u@modempool.com (Bruce Lallathin)
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 21:07:51 -0500
At 11:21 AM 10/31/98 -0800, you wrote:

I plan to put up an Inverted-L for 160.  Do I need a balum?  Can I feed
it with ladder line?  Is the longer the better or should I stick to +/-
170 feet.
==================
Hello Russell,

FB. Whether you need a baluN or not will be determined on the quality of
your RF ground at the feedpoint. Usually, with a minimal ground consisting
of a couple quarter wave radials and maybe an 8' ground rod, depending on
soil conductivity, you may match it directly with 50 ohm cable. The better
your ground screen, more radials,,,the closer the feedpoint will be to about
35 ohms. If you measure the feedpoint and find 50 ohms, then you can bet
most of the power you send to the antenna will end up warming the worms and
not being radiated....ground losses. As you add more radials, the losses go
down and the antenna will really start to perform very well. At this point,
close to 30 ohms or so you may want to put some sort of matching network.
The easiest to do is to wind a torroid transformer like W2FMI suggests to
take care of that. You will be amazed at how easy it is and how well it will
work.

Another way to do it is to elevate your radials as high as you can, but this
usually means you will end up with more wire horizontal and less vertical.
Depending on what you want to work with the inverted-L, this may not be all
bad. I used this method on Rarotonga. The radials, about 20 of them were
about 15' off the ground and the feedpoint was matched with a torroid. It
was an effective antenna and fairly quick to get up and working. I forgot
how long the radiator was. You will likely have to find the optimum length
by cut and try anyway given your location.

I've heard that by making the radiating wire slightly longer than a quarter
wave length gets the high current point up the wire some and this is
good...problem is you have to put a series cap in line to tune out the
reactance. I found this to be too much hassle and opted for the torroid
method.

There are lots of reference materials available on this subject. Try ON4UN's
Low Band DX'ing for starters. Also pickup W2FMI's publication of torroid
transformers.

Good luck with your projects. See you on 160!

73,
Bruce
AA8U  ZK1AAU  FP/AA8U