TopBand: Flags and Pennants

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Flags and Pennants
From: k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 01:13:20 EDT
I'm pleased to announce that, for Spanish-speaking Radioaficionados, an
excellent article by Jose, EA3VY (with slight assistance from K6SE)
titled "Banderas y Gallardetes" appeared in the Spanish edition of
September 1998 CQ Magazine.

Peter, VK3APN's modeling analysis of the Pennant posted on this reflector
should be interesting to many.

When I originally modeled the Pennant, my goal was to find the correct
dimensions and termination resistor value for zero reactance at the
feedpoint and good F/B at 1.830 mHz.  Doing this made the antenna
broadbanded enough to be useful on frequencies at least from 550 kHz to
7.3 mHz.

Any F/B modeling figures I've mentioned are for a 31.5-degree elevation
angle (which is also the maximum signal angle for the model over "good"
ground).

Unfortunately, the directivity of the antenna suffers greatly on
frequencies for which close-by transmitting verticals are tuned.  This is
also true for similar antennas like the Ewe.  I'm in the process of
determining (via modeling) what spacing and orientation might be needed
to minimize such proximity effects.

73, de Earl, K6SE

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]