TopBand: Beverage question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Beverage question
From: kaufmann@ll.mit.edu (John Kaufmann)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 17:49:48 -0500
At 10:23 AM 10/26/98 -0600, Raymond Dave-CSUS04 wrote:

>The T32 signal was essentially equal from all four beverage directions.  If
>I were trying out my beverages this morning for the first time, I would have
>never believed that they are working.  It's a little hard to believe that
>the angle of the arriving signal from T32 is so high that the beverages show
>no difference in signal strength.  Is there something else to attribute
>phenomenon to or is it purely a high angle of the arriving signal.

I have three 2-wire Beverages covering 6 directions (45, 90, 135, 225, 270,
and 315 degrees).   Sometimes I find a DX signal might be roughly equal
from as many as 3 directions spread over 90 degrees in azmuth, due to
multipath propagation where the signal often has a hollow or echoey sound.
This might be what you observed on the T32.  Fairly often, however, I
observe what appears to be skew path propagation.  For example, the great
circle short path heading from here in W1 to VK6 is about 330 degrees,
which is almost straight over JA, which itself is a difficult path from
here.  However, about half the time either the 270 degree or the 225 degree
Beverage produces stronger signals than the 315 degree Beverage.   A
similar skewing occurs on the long path to VK6 at our sunset when the 45
degree Beverage is almost always best (vs true long path at about 150
degrees).  The closer to antipodal the other station is (which VK6 is
getting close to from W1), the more often skewing is observed.  Unless the
antenna is aimed in the skew direction, there may not be much response to
the DX signal, which could be another explanation for why the different
Beverages (all pointed in the wrong direction) are the same.

73, John W1FV