TopBand: TY8A good operation!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: TY8A good operation!
From: Graham Mercer" <G.Mercer@btinternet.com (Graham Mercer)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 22:46:17 -0000
George/W8UVZ commented recently:

>Congrats to the TY8A operators.  In the face of very poor condx, they
>persevered on the low bands and gave many who listened closely a new
>one.  They seems to understand the grey line very well and had multiple
>stns gg during their dark hours.
>
>"Hats off" to these ops.

Well said George!

TY8A was obviously dogged with QRN problems, but was persistent and one
could more or less set one's clock by them ... On several days, I heard TY8A
calling CQ on 1824, lsng up 5, often for 30 mins or more and making just 3
or 4 QSOs for the effort.

The signal here in SW Scotland was consistent S7-S9, and despite placing
several DX spots on the cluster, often only odd QSOs resulted, but he was
there again the next night .. and the next night .. right on cue ... I
called him on several occasions, just to break the monotony of his endless
CQs, and he responded first time, each time, to my modest 200w & sloping
doublet little pistol crack !! (Yes, they were Dupes, but he seemed pleased
to QSO with someone!)

73 to all, have a good season!

Graham/ GM4BES+

Full marks to TY8A