TopBand: 1830 Carrier

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 1830 Carrier
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 07:27:40 -0400 (EDT)
K1FK wrote:

>Does anyone "down country" observe a steady weak carrier on 1830?

        Dave, this is a problem everyone in the USA has to one degree
or another.  It is caused by the mixing products of our AM broadcast
stations, which are spaced every 10 kHz, giving images on every even
10 kHz (1820.0, 1830.0, 1840.0).  I have never found any way to
eliminate it and suffer the same problem even though I am in a
"country" QTH and not close to any high power broadcast stations.

        Note to anyone overseas:

AVOID EVEN 10 KHZ MULTIPLES ON CW IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD IN NORTH AMERICA!

                                                73,  Bill W4ZV