TopBand: electric fence noise

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: electric fence noise
From: wd4jra@planttel.net (John Vickers)
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 14:57:35 -0500
Bill, W4ZV wrote:

>Most likely it is a poor connection causing arcing between wires.  First
>locate the fence with a portable radio in the general direction of the
>noise (i.e. direction of Beverage with strongest noise).

Also look for tall grass or brush against the fence-- providing an arc path
to ground. Living in farm country all my life, I've cleaned around neighbors
fences many times to clear the problem.

Also --- have bad power line noise at this QTH, but in Sept it increased to
30dB/ s9--- used a wildlife tracking receiver that I use in my work to
locate the problem. It consist of a low noise floor Rcvr in the 220 Mc range
and portable 3 el yagi.  The major culprit was a transformer located 3.5
miles from my QTH.  A bad arc path on the primary (14,400V) was radiating
for miles along the line.

Don't want to start this topic on the reflector but thought it may help
someone with these types of problems. If Ican help, reply direct.
73 John   wd4jra@planttel.net