TopBand: More Electric Fence

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: More Electric Fence
From: w1zkvt@together.net (Ralph McClintock)
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 11:01:58 +0000
Hello all.
 Thanks for all the notes on my electric fence problems. Honestly from
all your suggestions, been there - done that! The problem is NOT bad
connections or WEEDS. It is the controllers! If you want to see
something neat hook up a spectrum analyzer (use a wide band RF preamp
and a 160 meter antenna as the input) and you will see perfectly timed
pulses right up through 2 meters. In each case this clicking pulse
generator is attached to an ANTENNA (the fence) and it will and does
radiate. The 1950s noise blankers in all modern radios (tried them all)
is a clipping circuit. When strong local (1,000 mile 30-60 over S9 ham
signals) come on the air anywhere within the radios roofing filters
passband clipping occurs. Clipping equals square waves, square waves
equals harmonics (intermod), intermod equals no work.
  The one thing I discovered that does work is a power outage. The only
answer, as I see it, is to convince Bill Gates that electric fences are
a threat to his business and must be eliminated.
  Again thanks for all the notes, Ralph W1ZK