TopBand: Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Propagation
From: Wb2lmv@aol.com (Wb2lmv@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 14:08:49 EST
This is my third winter season on Top Band. I would like to know what is in
store for Top Band as far as propagation is concerned.  How do the rising
number of sun spots affect the propagation on the band?
  During the winter of 1997 I heard many more Europeans than I do now.  So far
this season I have only worked dj7aa. I have a very small property and modest
antenna system. But have managed to work 20 countries so far.
  After a solar flare the higher bands close, does Top Band open after a solar
flare?
 Does a dip in solar flux increase our chances on 160?
How important is the k index value as concerns propagation on 160?
   If anyone can enlighten me on these matters I would very much appreciate
your response.
                Thank you all.
                                   Glenn wb2lmv