TopBand: duplicate DXPedition qsos

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: duplicate DXPedition qsos
From: lmenzel@millcomm.com (Larry Menzel)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 07:44:55 -0600
Robin and the list,

>The combined dupe rate for both the 96 and
>98 trips exceeds 20 percent!!

This is an incredible number!

Regardless of the reality, we are and should be a self policing
service.  Along with this comes accountability.  I for one, would
encourage DX stations and their pilots to publish the callsigns of
offending "dupers" or make a point of it right then and there on
the air. "NOT IN THE LOG" would be an appropriate punishment as well.

This is *especially* true if the logs are being published on a frequent
basis here on the internet.

Remember, guys, that "insurance" contact you are making is absolutely
depriving a fellow ham of a first contact!  Just because you *can*
make the qso is no justification for doing so.  Put on the other shoe
for a minute and remember how if feels to be deprived of a new contact
because someone with a better antenna or bigger amp is blasting away.

Rant off.

BTW, Robin, THANK YOU for a marvelous effort.  Although from here in the
upper upper midwest of iron-ore laden Minnesota we were unable to work you,
I could hear you regularly.  It was good to even hear zone 26 on Topband,
let alone get a chance to work it.  We really appreciate your efforts on
our behalf.  Thanks for hanging in there and being on time every day.

Larry Menzel, N0XB
Northfield, MN