TopBand: 2nd Annual W8CAR Blinking Street Light Tour

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 2nd Annual W8CAR Blinking Street Light Tour
From: w8car@lrbcg.com (Dan Kovatch)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 15:36:18 -0800
Please take this with a grain of salt and remember the time of
year.......

Yesterday after missing two days of work (and two parties!) the flu
finally left my head and I became a bit saner.  I listened last evening
on 160 to see if Topband would be warming up for the Stew Perry. Alas, I
realize it is time for the 2nd Annual Blinking Street Light Tour.

What I hear across 160, 80 and 40 is a regular buzz saw sound of S9 +.
It arrives and lasts for a period of 30 seconds or so in a semi random
regular pattern approaching 2 minutes - it's effect is to make the low
bands unusable. I know this villain well.  The type of street lamp that
tries to fire and when it won't start continues in its mindless way to
begin again and again - producing little light but much RFI.

So, Tonight my ever patient wife and I will cruise the streets with
flashlight, binoculars, portable radio, writing utensils, sling shot and
chain saw. We'll cruise the Village and hope the lone constable doesn't
stop the crazy people who drive slowly around and around and back and
fro' in search of the "Blinking Light". After our romantic expedition we
will come home - have tacos and 807s and tomorrow I'll call the proper
authorities.  They are always cooperative and USUALLY fix the problem -
before CQWW160.

I count my blessings; a loving and caring wife who actually helps with
antennas, understands and tolerates me closeting myself on weekends to
listen to scratchy beeps from around the globe, good children who are
employed and not in jail, and - last but surely not least - a group of
people who will receive this message and understand it at some level and
nod their heads and think 'been there - done that'.

To all of you - Merry Xmas and Holidays and New year - and Cu on
Topband.

(Now where is that MFJ Noise Canceller I bought myself at Dayton ??)

to all LOTS of good nights !

Dan W8CAR