TopBand: FT1000D Aux RX input

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: FT1000D Aux RX input
From: Ken_Caruso@compuserve.com (KEN CARUSO)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 21:07:36 -0500

  Just a reminder to all using the FT1000D, the aux receive input is not
well protected from excessive RF on its input. In an attempt to slightly
improve my rx antenna situation I connected up a relatively low 160M-40M
trap dipole to its input. On my small suburban lot the dipole is within 20'
of the Inv L. Even though I was observing over 10W impinging upon it, prior
to connecting it to the aux receive input,  I had assumed the radio would
open the line when transmitting. It does not and it took less than one
character to smoke my 12db pad (and as a consequence my 18db selection
also).

 I was fortunate I didn't take out more of the front end.

 Two nights before SP, aarrghh....

 Ken
WO1N