TopBand: RE: Poor 160 Conditions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: RE: Poor 160 Conditions
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 23:02:42 -0500
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I can see I must read something into the text I have
that isn't really what goes on.
Hopefully you can help with one more question. This stuff is hard to
follow.

> and D-region physics.  MUFs are F-region matters and at the present time,

> no matter what the path, critical frequencies at the peak of the F-region
> are so high that 160 meter RF will always be propagated within the lower
> ionosphere.

That much I understood OK, and certainly the part about noise and
transmitter ERP setting the LUF of a circuit.

My confusion ( and it seems like a few others who posted comments) is in
the area of absorption. I always, perhaps incorrectly, assumed absorption
on lower frequencies increases as MUF increases. If I understand what you
are saying, that isn't necessarily true. So we might have a case where ten
meters is open over the same path as 160 meters, absorption on 160 is (is
that the cut-off frequency for this behavior?) independent of the things
that control MUF?

Thanks Bob.
Tom