TopBand: Stew Perry K2TOP

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Stew Perry K2TOP
From: btippett@alum.MIT.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 15:46:18 -0500 (EST)
K2WI wrote:

>After a QRP effort from K1ZM last year, and a lot of success at reduced
>power from my home station, I was psyched up for a 100w entry in this
>one.  When the K index hit 5 on Saturday morning, though, it seemed like
>maybe this was not the year for low power,

        Rob, you were right!  I decided to try low power and now have new
respect for the guys who do this all the time on 160!  The major difference
between low and high power in contests is that you won't have any DX
stations call you and are low man on the totem pole in a pileup of ANY size.
This was certainly not the year to do low power from here but I might
give it another try if conditions seem better next year.

        Kudos to the following who heard my 100 watts:  WP2/WB9Z (the
only DX to call me!), VP2MHJ, S58A, OM5RW, S57M, G0IVZ, IV3PRK, RW2F,
S50U, DJ7AA, HA0DU, G3SED, F6CWA, OK1DX, KH7R and FO0EEN.  Almost every
one of the EU QSO's was a MAJOR struggle!  Tree, I almost think the ops
on the other end of low/QRP power QSO's should get extra points, because
it was their ability and stations that pulled me through!

        I heard many other stations including some fairly long haul DX
like ZS5K, 5H3US, JH4UYB, 4X4NJ, RW6BQ, RW3PZ, LZ3AB, etc. but they couldn't
hear me...I could certainly tell which EU stations were using good RX
systems!

        I don't have a final score but made 264 QSO's and had fun in spite
of the conditions.  Thanks to Tree for organizing a great tribute to W1BB.

                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV