SV: TopBand: "Best" Receiver for 160 Work

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: TopBand: "Best" Receiver for 160 Work
From: harlins@swipnet.se (LARS HARLIN)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 23:33:39 +0100

----------
> Från: Nelson Moyer <ku0a@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>
> Till: topband@contesting.com
> Ämne: TopBand: "Best" Receiver for 160 Work
> Datum:  den 31 december 1998 21:43
>

> After using an FT707 (no 160) since 1981, I'm finally able to get a new
> radio. The short list, based upon max. available funds for rig, PS and
> filters (approx. $3000 plus or minus 300) is down to the TS870S, IC756,
> FT1000MP and Omni-VI Plus.  I'd be interested in any comments or
> recommendations on the receivers in these rigs for 160 and 80 meter use.
> >From what I've read about synthesized receivers and noise floor,
relative
> to weak signal work, the Omni-VI Plus looks good. Any Omni users on 160
out
> there?
>
> Nelson
> KU0A

Hi Nelson, and happy new year to all you guys!

I´ve been using the Knwd TS870 for two years, mainly at topband, now. Must
say
that overall I´m quite happy with the radio, it´s filters and DSP
facilities. At first
I had some complaints on crossmodulation, especially on lowbands, wich I
mailed
to the ´knowitalls´ at Kenwood - Japan. Got a quick response from them
suggesting
som mods wich they had implemented on radios with higher serialno.

In short the mod was to change some componentvalues in order to reduce gain
in second mixer and thereafter compensate with higher gain in IF.

It was a quite simple mod and the problems totally disappeared!

But anyhow, must say I´m very curious on the Omni VI !

73 de Lars / SM3BDZ