TopBand: "Best" Receiver for 160 Work

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: "Best" Receiver for 160 Work
From: CQK8DO@aol.com (CQK8DO@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 08:46:59 EST
I went through this whole exercise a couple of years ago in starting to build
a new contest station (still ongoing).. In my case there were no budget
limitations, so all radios from the cheapies, to the high end with cathode ray
screens were considered... I spent an entire year reading the reports in the
ham mags, trolling the rec.radio boards, going to dealers and playing with the
radios.... I wound up with the Omni VI and I was happy, even on 160...
Unfortunately, it took a lightning strike two years later and the insurance
company totaled it... With check in hand I again looked at the available
radios... I trolled the user boards again,  seeing the plaintive cries and
whimpering over all of the the supposed high end radios... The fixes, the
cures, the mods from the factory to solve this or that problem, the guys who
took their $3500 radios apart and cut traces on the circuit boards and added
relays and new antenna connectors, etc...
I ordered a new Omni VI Plus loaded to the gills with filters, and I am again
happy....

Cheers  ...  Denny