TopBand: WAS IT REALLY.....?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: WAS IT REALLY.....?
From: kaufmann@ll.mit.edu (John Kaufmann)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:41:50 -0500
At 06:45 AM 1/14/99 -0500, BILL MCHUGH wrote:

>BUT...it is a start and perhaps EU will become accessible to the west and
>midwest in the coming days.  For those in the "black hole" we sure hope so!

It seems last night did produce quite a good opening between Europe and
W6/W7 from around 0300Z onward.  Perhaps some of our West Coast
correspondents can comment, but I did hear quite a few of them making it
into Europe.  What was interesting from here in W1 was that not only were
the Europeans as loud as I have heard them this season (some S9++), but it
also appeared to be high angle propagation.  I saw very little directivity
in switching between my six Beverage directions, which is indicative of
high angle reception.  Some of the European stations were coming in just as
well from the southwest position as from the northeast!  RX9AX from zone 17
poked through with a nice 579 signal and called CQ for around 10 minutes
with no takers!   I wonder what propagation anomalies were at work last night?

73, John W1FV